Top 3 tips to achieve the best social media marketing strategy for your company
Looking for the best social media marketing strategy for your company? Social media continues to top the charts as one of the top lead generation strategies for finance and professional services alike.
In addition, it can help boost your SEO strategy (more front page rankings in Google) and drive more leads as well.
Today I am going to outline my top 3 tips to ensure your social media marketing strategy is generating results for your business. Feel free to click on the video below to watch a short 2 min overview of our top 3 tips.
If you happen to be the CFO of a financial services firm then this figure may help paint a powerful picture as to why social media is here to stay and why your CMO and marketing team need to get on top if it.
According to LinkHumans, Social media advertising revenue will reach $9.8 billion in 2016. Clearly this isn’t a fly-by-night marketing avenue, but one that has real strength, engagement and can help your company lead the way to dominating your niche, drive more leads and convert more sales.
So let’s dive in and have a look at the top 3 tips to help boost your social media marketing strategy.
Best social media marketing tip number 1
The first tip is to ensure you and your team are creating content worth sharing.
The whole idea of social media is to engage, share and open the discussion. If all your content is about you, your products and services, then you are not going to get much engagement.
How can you and your team develop content that is worth sharing?
The first thing you want to do is run some research. Your goal is to uncover the wants and needs of your target market so you can ‘heal their pain’ so to speak.
The best way to do research in order to generate content worth sharing is by:
- Creating a survey and asking your audience directly what they’d like to know. Tools like SurveyMonkey are quite helpful in allowing you to efficiently create a modern looking survey with no coding experience.
- Running some relevant keyword research to find out what your audience is currently searching for online. You can run keyword research using LongTailPro, Moz Keyword research, keywordtool, Google trends or just go to the Google Keyword Planner in your adwords account
- Running a seminar or webinar. By running a seminar or webinar you get first hand knowledge of what your audience is looking for. They will tell you with the questions they ask
- Using is BuzzSumo, which helps you identify which content is currently ranking the best across social media and other online areas
- Running a quick search across Amazon.com. Often some real gems get found when searching across the top selling books in your niche
- Keeping a notepad handy. I like to use the notepad app on my smart phone and jot down any ideas that come to mind.
- Using the online version of notepad can be useful as well. Tools like Evernote can really help organise your ideas and give you a place to put your best thoughts. The great thing about Evernote is it is available on your mobile device and via your desktop.
- Grabbing a list of your customers most frequently asked questions. Most sites have an FAQ section and often your support team are fielding the same questions over and over again. This is a great indication of the types of content your audience is reaching out for.
So there you have 8 ideas to get the ball rolling in order to focus on winning content that you audience not only loves but is motivated to share via the best social media marketing channels.
Once your meet this criteria, you are well on the way to a winning social media strategy.
Best social media marketing tip number 2
Tip number 2 is to identify a strategy for each channel.
LinkedIn is very different from Facebook, which is very different to Twitter. Take the time to understand the message you need to create for each channel and commit to that strategy.
Every company needs to commit to building a strategy for the key channels your major competitors are using. Take some time to research what is resonating with the audience on each channel and start to formulate your own strategy.
The best way to boost your social media results is to get your hands dirty. Nothing will replace the actual execution of a well thought out strategy. But don’t overthink the process and spend all your time doing research.
There are so many nuggets of gold you will find along the way. The longer you leave it to get started and test new ideas, the longer it will take to truly find your groove with your target audience.
Your company may have both B2B (Business to Business) and B2C (Business to Consumer) channels and it is important to create an independent strategy for both areas that resonates with your specific audiences.
If you do run both B2B and B2C, then you will have independent teams focused on each one. Talk to them about how they can drive more leads and build the authority of their business unit through a dedicated social media marketing strategy.
Best social media marketing tip number 3
Tip number 3 is to strengthen each of your social media assets.
Too often we step in to a company and notice one or two of the channels totally neglected or the guy who WAS looking after it has now left the company.
This is not good enough. People are creatures of habit, so if you have a daily stock market update and the person creating it leaves, then you need to jump on it and continue the daily update.
Your people are expecting it. If you leave it for a week, then your tribe has left and found someone else who can fulfill their need for information.
Build the systems within your organisation so your social media channels continue to generate leads and win the social media marketing battle.
When it comes to creating the best social media marketing strategy, consistency and actual execution will trump the most well intentioned plans. Get in there, test, implement, analyse the results and refine, refine and refine.
Only testing and time will help you identify what is the best social media marketing strategy that resonates with your audience in the most efficient and effective way.
Another point to note is to have a strategy in place to test other up and coming channels to see what engagement you can achieve.
Often the lowest hanging fruit is sitting idle on the channels your competitors haven’t taken the time to look into and research.
The goals of your social media marketing team is to allocate sufficient time to test other platforms, get involved and open the conversation with the people on these new channels.
Some other less obvious channels that are overlooked by some large corporations are:
So what are you waiting for? There is no time like the present to get in and build your audience and drive more leads to your lead generation assets via social media.
Feel free to connect with us via our social media channels and let us know what has been working well for your company.