Need fresh YouTube video ideas for your channel in 2018?
Coming up with new YouTube Video Ideas is either an exciting task or one that has you sitting around staring at the ceiling and procrastinating for most of the day.
If you are struggling to find ideas on what videos you should be producing for your YouTube channel, then hopefully this article can give you laser-like focus. Our goal today is to get you pushing our more quality videos, increase your youtube subscribers and learn a few tips and tricks on video editing.
This particular approach is one I learnt from Adam Linkenauger, who has the most successful basketball training YouTube channel on the planet.
YouTube Video Idea Generator
So I like to call this strategy ‘the YouTube video idea generator’.
The video idea generator allows you to find the most popular ideas for your target market and it works for every niche out there. No matter if you record music videos or tutorials on video games, this online marketing strategy will work.
As we are focused on the Forex, CFD, trading education and finance niche, we are going to see how it can be applied directly to this focus area.
Feel free to change the focus for your industry or niche.
Helping increase your rankings in YouTube
An essential element of ranking in YouTube is providing your viewers with a consistent suite of videos.
Preferably, your video production timetable will allow you to produce these videos on a regular schedule.
Have you got a regular YouTube posting schedule?
One of the most famous YouTubers is Tim Schmoyer, whose Video Creators Channel is one of the most popular in his niche.
Tim has a regular posting schedule and has dedicated his life to helping entrepreneurs and business owners achieve above average results with their video marketing strategy.
Tim has planned 4-5 days a week for new video releases including FAQs and a few different areas his subscribers like to know about. Also, he has been creating more collaboration videos and current news around YouTube.
When you are getting started, your goal is to identify how often you need to be posting new YouTube videos to your channel. Keep in mind your busy schedule and your ability to stick to the new timetable.
The power of habit and your YouTube videos in 2018
Charles Duhigg wrote an excellent book titled The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business in which he identified the importance of getting your tribe into a habit of viewing your content.
Charles calls this the ‘Habit Loop’ and essentially has three key elements. The Cue, the Routine and the Reward. This loop then continues.
If you start posting every Tuesday and Thursday, then your subscribers get into the habit of receiving information from you and almost get hooked into expecting it.
Have a look over your favourite YouTubers and see what their posting schedule looks like.
Setting up your habit loop
You set up a Habit Loop which is positive for both you and the viewer.
Never take your subscribers for granted and make sure you can maintain the YouTube posting schedule you initially plan.
Here is a quote directly from the book ‘The Power of Habit’:
This process within our brains is a three-step loop. First, there is a cue, a trigger that tells your brain to go into automatic mode and which habit to use. Then there is the routine, which can be physical or mental or emotional. Finally, there is a reward, which helps your brain figure out if this particular loop is worth remembering for the future.
You will notice the last part, which says ‘…worth remembering for the future.’ This is the critical part of the equation.
If you do not create a regular posting schedule, then it is hard for your tribe to know when they should expect the next exciting instalment of your video training. It will be too hit and miss.
Before we get into the key part of coming up with new video ideas, let’s discuss some basics of video marketing.
YouTube Video marketers and their equipment
When it comes to video equipment, you will see everything from the most expensive stuff right down to mobile phones. Let’s discuss a few of these things.
Is there a best camera for YouTube?
At Profile Booster, we have a few favourite cameras, but we use the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 and find it extremely versatile.
One of the downfalls, in my opinion, is the audio recording mic.
So you must get a stand-alone microphone and we use the Rode SmartLav+. This is the most cost-effective microphone for YouTubers, coming in around $80.
Nothing will drop your watch time faster than poor quality audio. And if you want to rank your videos at the top, then you must have excellent view time analytics.
When you are starting out, don’t get bogged down with the best camera setup. Instead, focus on getting more videos created and remember, mobile video is fine.
You can create videos using your mobile phone.Something like the latest iPhone, Samsung or the Google Pixel is brilliant.
Something like the latest iPhone, Samsung or the Google Pixel is brilliant.
What about editing software?
Adobe Premier Pro is the ultimate video editing software but comes with a steep learning curve. Camtasia is quite intuitive and Windows Movie Maker is fairly ‘bare bones’. Let’s just say you will unlikely be creating viral videos using Windows Movie Maker.
Also, keep in mind, you will want to think about your intro videos. These are short 3-8 second intros which usually contain some snazzy intro and a branding element.
Using royalty free music as a backing works well too. It can often mask some of the background noises in your main video.
Steps to come up with inspiring YouTube Video Ideas
The first thing you need to do is understand the broad picture ideas your target market is interested in.
Think of this as a tree. You have the branches, which is the general idea behind what you are looking for, then you have the leaves, which are plentiful.
For this tutorial, I have selected 6 ideas related to trading the markets which are
- Technical Analysis
- Best Forex
- How to invest
- Best broker
Now, all we need to do is type the broad idea into the YouTube search box.
How big is YouTube?
YouTube is the 2nd biggest search engine, right behind Google and processes more than 3 billion searches per month.
According to Mushroom Networks, YouTube search is greater than Bing, Yahoo, Ask and AOL combined.
As you can see from the image below, when I start typing in the branch idea, some more focused ideas start popping up. These are the most popular searches on YouTube right now for the branch key term.
I would recommend putting these into an Excel spreadsheet.
The reason you want to do this is so you can see all your potential YouTube video ideas on the one sheet and pull from any of them when you feel the inspiration.
For those of you who are visual, I’ve included a screenshot of what your Excel sheet might look for once all your video ideas for YouTube are copied down.
Now you need to rinse and repeat for the other broad key terms you believe your market will be searching for.
I have already gone ahead and collected the ideas related to these other 5 broad search terms, and you can see the results below.
Your number 1 source of YouTube inspiration
This is your number 1 source of inspiration for your new YouTube videos. It is so much easier generating ideas for your YouTube channel with a list like this.
Within a short space of time, you can see how 10-20 minutes of research will provide enough video ideas to last you several weeks or months depending on your YouTube posting schedule.
Also, by creating videos around the most popular video content on the web right now, you stand a much greater chance for your video to be shared online via social media channels, which is the bonus of this strategy.
Now I’ve only touched on one big picture idea to create a suite of video content to populate your YouTube channel.
In reality, there are hundreds of ideas you could think up.
To get your mind stirring, I’ve put down a list of 18 specific video ideas you could use to really grow your YouTube channel.
18 more YouTube video ideas for success in 2018:
- Write down your top 10 frequently asked questions. Put a plan together to answer each of these questions via video.
- Write down the questions you wish people would ask you about your product. Tailor the questions towards you. For example, ‘Why is our product/service more expensive than the competitors?’. You now have an excellent chance to structure a response aligning your company as the preferred choice for quality reasons to back it up.
- Note down what your competitors are doing and improve on their ideas.
- Come up with 5 ideas on the things your business does differently to everyone else. In particular, highlight the 5 key things your business does differently to your competitors.
- Have you got an inspirational story to share? Stories are extremely memorable and strengthen people’s view of your company and brand. Release the inner Spielberg in you and create some short films.
- What advice would you give to people starting your business? You can become a mentor and position your company as the expert as a result.
Read any interesting books lately?
- What books have you read that have inspired you to achieve your current level of success? Create a short video tutorial on each of those books. Some people have built their entire business around this.
- Can you do a platform demonstration tutorial if you sell software? You may also hear these referred to as explainer videos.
- Can you encourage a prominent blogger or your favourite YouTubers to do an unboxing video?
- Do you manufacture your goods? Create a video showing how you make your products.
- Do you have an assembly line? Take a video of the entire process you go through to deliver your products to your customers.
- Run a series of executive interviews with your team or other experts in your niche.
- Are there people you can interview? Line up a few interviews with people you know will add value to your viewers.
- Do you attend trade shows? Create a video with your team at the trade show.
- Can you gather some video testimonials from your happy clients? Video testimonials are a great YouTube video idea to boost your credibility and trust with those who have never bought from you before.
- Is there something you are passionate about in your industry? Create a ‘rant video’ and share it on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook. Or perhaps reaction videos, where you discuss your reaction to the current news and recent events.
- Are you brilliant at creating business systems? Share the ideas behind your systems on video.
- Are there success stories of people using your product?
Hopefully, this will get your mind thinking of a heap of new YouTube video ideas. The possibilities are truly endless.
If you are looking to set your social media marketing on fire with a quality YouTube channel, then put these tips into action.
Set yourself a goal that within six months you will have a lot of people watching your videos.
Now it’s your turn to get in front of the camera.
Lights, Camera, Action. Go for it.